Massage License MM#38776 – Sports massage is the application of a number of techniques applied in a timely and systematic fashion in order to manipulate soft tissue to support function and performance. Overall, sports massage supports the flexibility, health, recovery and emotional well being of the athlete. It is not meant to be a relaxing massage and, indeed, can become quite vigorous at times.
Contrary to its name, sports massage is not only utilized by professional athletes or people that exercise heavily. It is of benefit to anyone that exercises, even if it is only mild exercise such as regular walking.
Utilizing the technique of Sports Massage the massage therapist can remove the accumulation of general aches and pains that some people seem to accept as normal. These aches and pains can lead to more serious problems, therefore the benefits of sports massage for injury prevention is great. With specific injuries, massage can explore the soft tissue more intimately than any other therapy and problem areas can be diagnosed and treated very accurately.
Evidence of massage is found in many ancient cultures. Earliest records credit the ancient Greeks with emergence and association of massage with sports. Modern sports massage history begins in the 1900’s with the founding of the Finnish School of Massage, which used Swedish massage strokes to develop a timely and systematic system useful for athletes.
Sports massage can treat a variety of ailments and injuries that may occur as a result of exercise. It also has other benefits that allow you to train or exercise more efficiently.
Some benefits that sports massage has include:
- It helps increase circulation by repairing micro tears and it eliminates soreness and decreases recovery time.
- Supports delivery of oxygen rich blood and nutrients to the body.
- Moves fluid by flushing tissue edema, which can cause secondary injuries through fluid pressure if the swelling of an injured area is severe.
- Stimulates specific muscle groups involved in athletic function.
- Decreases muscle tension, increases elasticity of the muscle and connective tissue.
- Eliminates the formation of restrictive scar tissue, which supports flexibility and increases range of motion.
If you are a hardcore athlete or even just a weekend warrior, we have a much needed and therapeutic sports massage waiting for you at our beautiful new wellness center in Margate.
Care Wellness Center is located within minutes of Coconut Creek and Coral Springs. Let our licensed massage therapists get their hands on you today. We do accept many insurance plans. Please call us at 954-586-8088 to schedule a free consultation.